Burton Agnes Hall and Gardens
Burton Agnes Hall is a magnificent example of Elizabethan architecture built in 1598 by Sir Henry Griffith and still lived in by his descendants. The Hall is filled with treasures collected and commissioned by the family over the centuries - original Elizabethan carving and plasterwork, lovely examples of Georgian furniture and porcelain, a marvellous collection of modern French and English paintings of the Impressionist Schools. The Elizabethan period is very evident in the great hall, red drawing room and two state bedrooms while the long gallery runs from east to west across the top of the house and houses the bulk of the modern art and furniture collection.
The Hall is surrounded with lawns and yew topiary bushes while the old walled garden is filled with collections of roses, clematis, herbs and many other unusual plants with a potager, maze, jungle garden and coloured gardens with giant board games.