Originally built in 1569 and consisted in those days of three, or possibly, four buildings surrounding a courtyard and with a long wing running from North to South. One of the original lead rain-water heads, complete with the date ‘1569’ moulded on its face side, still exists today. In 1740, the south part of the house, together with the enclosing walls of the garden were dismantled and the materials sold, leaving only the outer courtyard enclosure, the North range and the West wing. The house was later restored in modern times with a range built on the foundations of the original East wing and various other additions were made. However a number of original features still exist such as a moulded oak door frame, original windows with brick mullions, transoms and square moulded labels and superb chimney stacks with octagonal shafts.