Fact Sheet - A brief history of the Duke of York's Headquarters
The site of land which the Saatchi Gallery now sits on, was owned by the Cadogan family until 1801, when the government purchased it to construct a residential home and school for children orphaned by the war; the 'Royal Military Asylum for the Children of Soldiers of the Regular Army' and later renamed 'the Duke of York's Military School'.
This Palladian style building was designed by John Sanders, a pupil of John Sloane. The foundation stone was laid by the Duke of York and completed in 1803.
It was home to 1,000 orphans; with 300 girls in the south wing and 700 boys in the north wing, with the central block accommodating the dining halls and communal areas.
The school moved out in 1909 and in 1911 the Territorial Army took ownership, renaming it the Duke of York's Headquarters.
In 1999 the Ministry of Defence sold the site to the developer Cadogan Estates, who now leases the building to the Saatchi Gallery.
SAATCHI GALLERY +44 (0)20 8968 9331
Duke of York's HQ firstname.lastname@example.org
London SW3 4RY